Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Modern Draupadi


The thirteenth time
He broke my heart
Copious tears I shed
I raved and ranted
And cursed the world
And hurled brick-bats
Heaven-ward...

Frustrated and furious
At my accusations
The Lord rose from his abode
Seething, stood before me
“What do you want child?
Who do want tell me
And it is him
You shall have!”

Dumbstruck at the turn of fate,
A yelp of joy I suddenly gave
And launched into my Mr. Perfect list
“Kind and sweet
Helpful and understanding
Trustworthy enough
With my eyes shut tight...

Someone who can read my words
And read between all the lines
Who hugs me when I say I'm cold
Not leave a blanket by my side
Not someone
Who promises the moon
But holding hands
He gazes at the horizon with me...

Who envelops me in bear-hugs
And lightly kisses
My fears good-night
Who cuddles me all night long
And talks to me about everything
Someone I call at 3 in the night
To soothe my nightmare,
Lull me to sleep...

The Big Bang Theory he explains
And cracks jokes
Better than Chandler does...
Who brags about me
To his friends
And whacks any jerk
Who messes with me...

Who's the perfect lover
Father, Brother and friend
And loves my dad
Like his family
Who let's me win
When I'm low
And knows when I need
My fair game...

Surprises me with tiny gestures
Whispers sweet nothings
Holds my hand, kisses my head
Gives me chocolate when I PMS
Creates Awww moments
And makes me go oooh!
Loves me with a passion
Nothing subdued...
Travels the world with me
Yet knows when I need my space...”

Blah... blah... blah...
I continued on and on...
Eye closed, concentrating,
Pacing back and forth...
After minutes maybe
(Or days they were?)
I opened my eyes
Baffled to see a bald Lord
Wring his hands...

Ganesh as he sat on the floor
The second tooth broken
Banana leaves weighed down
By an epic longer than
Mahabharata maybe...

I looked at the Lord
Who stared back
Wondering what had he unleashed....
I shook my head
Gave a tiny shrug
And told him,
“Just let it be..
Perhaps... Maybe...
I'm just the Modern Draupadi...”





3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this poem when you read it out at the Poetry Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome...with a amazing title...

    ReplyDelete